Friday 16 May 2014

Roses at Kyu-Furukawa Garden

First up thanks to those who commented on my last post. I guess I'll continue blogging for as long as I feel like it and then stop. Basically the same life rule I follow for everything else, especially chocolate.

Yesterday I had an outing in the rain to Kyu-Furukawa garden. There is an english-ish house and a formal english garden, then below that is the traditional japanese section. This was Walk 7 in the Flower Lover's Guide to Tokyo and the book lives up to expectations. You start at one station and end at another so you get to see all the bits in between as well as the garden. Traditional shopping streets...
Komagome shopping street
A Temple (Muryo-ji) - I adore those trees with their balls of leaves on the ends of the branches. No idea what they are called.
Mury-o ji Temple
A pink police hut.
Komagome Pink Police Hut
These are not usually pink but sakura (cherry blossom) seemed to be quite a theme throughout this part of town. For instance...
Japanese Post Box
Plus the buses all had sakura designs on them.

Getting to the garden itself, I was really surprised. I had hoped for Azaelias and I got....roses!
Kyu-Furukawa Garden Rose Bed
Plus a lot of people. I suspect a coach party of retired japanese had just arrived but there were also one or two groups of ladies-who-lunch. Otherwise I suspect I was the youngest there. The photo above was just the one bed along the side of the house. There were plenty more.
Kyu-Furukawa Garden
Kyu-Furukawa Garden
Kyu-Furukawa Garden House and Rose Garden
When the rain restarted there were the colourful umbrellas to contrast with the flowers.
Kyu-Furukawa Garden Roses
I took photos of soooo many roses. I made a mosaic but the individual photos with the names of the roses are all on Flickr.
Roses of Kyu-Furukawa Garden
This is all that was left of the Azaelias - a week earlier and they must have looked amazing.
Kyu-Furukawa Garden
The japanese part of the garden was just as beautiful.
Kyu-Furukawa Garden
Kyu-Furukawa Garden
Kyu-Furukawa Garden Tea House
Kyu-Furukawa Garden Tree
Kyu-Furukawa Garden

There was a lovely viewing platform where you could look over most of both gardens and I spent a while sitting there and mulling over life in general. It was a very pleasant place to be!


No comments: