Sunday 4 August 2013

Weekend of Giving and Receiving

My epic stash sort out and second round of book listing has resulted in 70+ lots being listed on ebay. Everything starts at 99p so go and grab yourself something wonderful. This is the stash pre-clearout.
Pre Clearout Stash
I'll show you what it looks like in 10 days time.

With the way Royal Mail now calculate postage, anything more than 8cm thick costs over £5 to post. So all those 100g single balls were never going to sell plus there were various bits and bobs I thought others might enjoy. That saw me with an IKEA bag full of stash and notions heading to the Romford Group today. I came home without it which is a win for me! Plus the people there got a few goodies each and the rest has gone to EssexGirlKnits's school group. I didn't come away empty handed though. My birthday present from Nickerjac!
007
So many amazing embroidery transfers and in *excellent* condition despite being more than 70 years old. I still need to go through them all properly this evening but a few jumped out at me.
010
Book 1 and 2 plus this initial book. Gorgeous! Plus you see a lot of versions of the grown up bonnet lady - but this is the first I've seen of a junior version.
008
I am soooooo lucky!

I was rather delighted to get these. I found them very comforting. I had been trying to explain how it made me feel to be having such a drastic destash of my stash as well as my books. I can remember buying all of that yarn and the aspirations I had for this skein or that skein. I had expected to use it up gradually over the next decade or two and to add to it as time went on. It was a history of things I had done and places I had been over the last 10+ years. Once it's gone it's as if those memories have gone. I needed to mourn the loss of all those potential items I would have knitted. Pooch did not understand. "You can get more." was his response. And yes, if it was just yarn and not memories too then I could. I guess it's hard for anyone who doesn't knit to get it. And for any sewer reading this, it'll be my fabric stash next. Although that isn't emotive and there isn't as much to go through. Maybe I should have done that first?!
LOLCAT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour ma Belle Cadette,
So sorry, don't know why I didn't think of this before but we have plenty of storage space if you decide you don't want to part with anything else. We'll keep it safe here until you are able to claim it again, no matter how long that might be. We could collect it all in the autumn.
with all love DXX

Anonymous said...

Over here in the US the bonnet girl was called "Sunbonnet Sue" back in the 70's. There are likely a few names for her, but she was popular for embroidery and applique especially. "Denim Dan" was her male counterpart, big floppy farmer style hat and overalls were his attire. The grown bonnet women are called either "Crinoline Ladies", or "Southern Belles". I have not seen a male counterpart for those.

If you can, you might want to scan and save your favorites of those iron-on patterns. That way you can keep them on a CD or wherever and still use them later. I do that so that I still have the pattern after the ink will no longer transfer, if it is old and won't transfer, or if it is in a book, and I don't want to rip it up. I say this because if they are old, you might not be able to find replacements later. I also scan if I need them in a different size than the ones they come in. :-) That might give you fewer regrets later in the pattern department.

Anyhow, I would LOVE to sort through those old patterns, old patterns are my favorites. :-)