Saturday 5 June 2010

Dalston - place of mystery and intrigue

The reopening of the East London line has opened up several not-so-far-flung corners of London. I had a long-standing appt to meet a friend there and it took a mere 20 mins to get straight to the heart of the area, and the delights that contains. For a start there is a huuuuuuuuge market. More fruit, veg, fish, clothes, shoes, bags, cooking pots etc than you can shake an incense stick at. That's where I scored this massive amount of cherries from - just £2.
Photobucket
Then there are all the stalls with fabric on. And not just stalls. My visit had a dual purpose and the first was to visit Dalston Mill, which really has to be seen to be believed. (The website just doesn't do it justice.) This gives you a rough idea:
Photobucket
Floor to ceiling fabric bolts. So that's 3 stories high of fabric. Then there is all the floor space stacked with rolls. Then there are the back rooms. It was pretty amazing. I asked them how they got the the rolls off the top tiers and the lovely lady helping us said they hook them down. Then if the customer doesn't like the fabric close up they have to put it back! There was also yarn - all acrylic but a good variety, tonnes of buttons and a room of haberdashery. Nice. I was amazingly restrained. A metre of this beautiful cotton.
Photobucket
And I couldn't resist one of these beautiful buttons - so gorgeous.
Photobucket

The other reason for going was to see another Louise Riley exhibition. Her stuff is just so amazing. This is my all time favourite piece:
Photobucket
The exhibition was on in Dalston Superstore. I'd not been there before and it was great - brilliant food and a great way to see the art. This is a new one and really amazing.
Photobucket
Bernie and I had a great lunch, under another amazing piece.
Photobucket
I so want to be Louise Riley. Woe.

But who am I? I am Auntie Alex, wife of Uncle Grumpy. Who finally handed over this photo.
Photobucket
And I patchwork like a demon.
Photobucket

No comments: